SoulSpace at The Avenue
SoulSpace is part of the dream for The Avenue Church. This dream had a beginning before now and will have an ending well beyond now, but for this moment in the journey the following ideals and values will help shape the ‘place’ that is SoulSpace.
SoulSpace seeks to be:
- a place of hospitality, where all people are welcomed, affirmed and invited to bring their whole selves – their hopes and aspirations, their hurts and vulnerabilities.
- a place where people have permission to simply ‘be’ – not a place of frenetic busyness, but a place of rest and nurture.
- a place where people may be healed, restored and enriched through the provision of space, hospitality and resources for wellbeing, including physical (yoga, pilates, etc.), emotional (counselling, support groups, etc.) and spiritual nurture (meditation, spiritual direction, etc.).
- a place where people are invited to deepen their relationship with their God, pursuing that journey in whatever ways are deeply meaningful for them.
- a place where the creativity of all people is stimulated through music, art, story, craft and more. Creative effort will be celebrated; quality will not be judged.
- a place that is contemplative at its core, where people may be immersed in prayer and silence. Within this prayer and silence, all people will be nourished, fed, loved, healed and cared for.
- a place where people discover and revel in a unique rhythm and pace: where joy and beauty are wonderfully celebrated, and where pain, hurt and struggle are gently held, so that all people might be touched, depthed, understood, healed.
- a place where people experience true freedom, a space that is not owned or controlled by any one but is shaped by and responds to the needs and dreams that emerge from the community by which it is formed.
- a place where diversity is affirmed, encouraged and celebrated. This will include diversity of faith tradition, age, sexual preference, gender, theology and politics.